Forums

can't type password to database password prompt in psql

with course material from Coursera I have been trying to access a given database as indicated by the lecturer but I cant paste or type the password when I'm prompted for one. could someone please help with suggestions. I am a beginner and don't really understand a lot about Linux.

Did you try hitting enter after pasting the password?

Hi Glenn, Thank you so much for answering, maybe I'll try again after creating my own credentials instead of using ones supplied by the lecturer(perhaps I have misread some information and they might just be examples instead of being tools). I'll ask here again if I am unable to do it then.

One thing that's worth mentioning is that when the Postgres command prompts you for a password, it disables the printing of characters as you type them. This is to prevent people from discovering your password by looking over your shoulder as you type. So it's possible that it prompted you for the password and was accepting characters as you typed/pasted them, but because you didn't know that it wasn't going to display them, it looked like it was locked up for you.

Giles thank you so much for your helpful reply though it doesn't look like it because after trying to paste the password in if i hit enter i get an error message. i'm waiting for student help center to clarify. maybe i did confuse the instructions given

OK, hopefuly you'll get this working. Otherwise, let us know if there is anything else that we could help you with.

Ty Pakf, I'have finally been able to post the problem on the student forum so hopefully someone will help clear doubts or real issue.