Forums

Flask function RAM limit

Hi

I have this app that collects data from an API (League of Legends) and then displays it on a flask website. It checks if you've played new games since last (the data is stored in a json file) and if so it starts a new function that gathers the new data. Then it's shown on the website collecting the json data that is uploaded by flask:

@app.route('/index_get_data', methods=['GET'])
def stuff():
    return jsonify(load_matches())

My problem is that it works perfectly on my local "server" (running it from Pycharm) and it works on my pythonanywhere if there are no new matches. I.e. if the load_matches() function never has to call the "gather data" function. It also works if I call the load_matches() function in the code - without having it in a flask route. Something like:

data = load_matches()
@app.route('/index_get_data', methods=['GET'])
def stuff():
    return jsonify(data)

This means that new data is only collected when I reload my web app though - since it's not dynamically connected by flask.

When I use the first method, where load_matches() is called in flask, (the return jsonify(load_matches()) one) I get an error. The error is a part of the code in the "gather data" function. However that code, again, works fine when it's not called in flask. So I don't think that's the issue. ALSO i receive an email telling me that "One or more of your processes have exceeded the RAM limit (currently 3GB), and have been killed. They were: myusername: myusername.eu.pythonanywhere.com uWSGI worker 1".

On my site itself (which won't load because of the error) I get "Error code: 502-backend".

Long story short; why does my app not work when called from flask (when it does on my local server)?

Hope you can help

The error message in your error logs is the place to start debugging what is going on. The fact that you are running out of memory could be a cause or a symptom and the error message in your logs is likely to point you in the right direction so you can work out which it is and how to fix it.