Forums

Upgrade SSL

Hi. I am trying to call a third party api from my pythonanywhere virtual environment. The api no longer supports API calls using the older TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 encryption protocols and I need to update all endpoints to TLS 1.2. The SSL version installed on my pythonanywhere is "OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014". My understanding is that this needs to be upgraded to ssl 1.0.2. How do I do this in pythonanywhere? Thanks!

Your account is using an older system image. The newest one has openssl 1.0.2. Switching to the new version may break some of your existing code that worked on older versions. You may need to recreate any virtualenvs that you're using and you will need to start new consoles and reload your web apps. You will also need to kill any ipython notebook processes that are running by using the "Fetch processes" button on the Consoles page. Let us know if you'd like us to update your system image for you.

Hi Glenn. Thanks for explaining that. Yes, please update the system image.

No problem -- that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; any scheduled/always-on tasks and websites will pick it up the next time they're (re)started. If you're using Jupyter/IPython notebooks, you'll need to kill any existing ones using the process list on the "Consoles" page to make them restart fully to pick up the new Python versions.